Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Great Article on the Anger of Atheists

Over at one of my new favorite blogs, Greta Christina discusses the "Atheists and Anger."

Among my favorite lines by Greta Christina: "I'm angry that atheist conventions have to have extra security, including hand-held metal detectors and bag searches, because of fatwas and death threats."

and

"I'm angry that the 41st President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, said of atheists, in my lifetime, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God."

and

"I'm angry that women are dying of AIDS in Africa and South America because the Catholic Church has convinced them that using condoms makes baby Jesus cry."

As a "devout" agnostic, I can definitely appreciate this article.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Contingent humanitarianism. What’s with that?

Jane Know said...

haha. contingent humanitarianism. good one. not to name names or anything, but that sounds like Jose Solano et. al. "I love you. But please stop having your depraved, immoral, repulsive sex."

Kira said...

"As a devout agnostic"

You are either a THEIST or an ATHEIST. Agnostic is not a middle ground.

You cannot, by definition, be an agnostic without being an atheist or a theist.