Sunday, September 23, 2007

I heart Lady Mondegreen

And I heart misheard song lyrics and phrases.

"It's not fair/ To remind me/ Of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me...You You You oughta knowwwww."

I heard it through the great vine that the proper term for misheard phrases are Mondegreens, which is itself a Mondegreen.

Per Wikipedia, American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay, "The Death of Lady Mondegreen." She writes:

"When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques. One of my favorite poems began, as I remember:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl Amurray, [sic]
And Lady Mondegreen."

The actual fourth line of this poem was "And laid him on the green."

I believe this topic has sorta come up before on my blog, thanks to my friend Teddy2. I finally got around to googling and wikipedia-ing "misheard song lyrics" tonight while studying. (Yes, this definitely pertains to Primary Care of Infants, Children, and Adolescents.)

Anyway, I found this sweet website: http://www.amiright.com/, which allows one to search through maybe thousands of artists for commonly misheard song lyrics. A lot of them are duplicates, but oh well.

I guess, for all intensive purposes, it's just a doggy-dog world.

11 comments:

Fannie Wolfe said...

You should have come over yesterday and had roman cokes with us.

Jane Know said...

oh, you had roman cokes? nice breakfast drink...

Anonymous said...

lol! I LOVE misheard lyrics! The cross eyed bear thing I have never heard... and I have been laughin for about 5 minutes! Another great website to check out is kissthisguy.com (purple haze- 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy)
Thanks for the laugh!

Jane Know said...

haha! what's that song that sounds like they say "i like tacos?" i think it was with you, as we drove around p-town in your car one day.

Anonymous said...

as I lay me down to sleep, I pray, that you will hold me dear, while I'm far away (I like tacos!)
I think it actually said "when i'm not home" lol How about that michael jackson song.... somethin like mama say mama sa ma maposa or whatever the hell he says... it sounds like did you say that you want some taco sauce... and my all time favorite is from the first line of shook me all night long.......................it says
SHE WANTS A (FAX) MACHINE!!!!!!!!

Jane Know said...

haha!!! i haven't heard that fax machine one. it does sound like that. :-)

Anonymous said...

i thought it was "we all like tacos" (which is true). also, "one canned tomato" for "guantanamera. juanita guantanamera." (sp?). and my favorite..."finding it hard to believe, she's eleven."

Anonymous said...

omg, she's eleven? WOW! I have had one of the best days I have had in a long time... and that was the PERFECT capper for it! I have a dirty one that is my 2nd favorite of all time... If Jane doesn't want in on here, I won't be offended if its deleted... it just makes me laugh... it's a song by Sheryl Crow... soak up the sun.. OR..... IIIII wanna suck off your son! lol
Thanks for makin my day even better Rachel!

Jane Know said...

haha! i may delete a-holes on my blog when they are mean to me and my friends, but i will certainly NOT delete a dirty misheard song lyric. that is nowhere on my comment policy. ;-)

rachel and teddy2, thanks for your additions.

Jane Know said...

oh, one more: in Kelly Clarkson's "Miss Independence," it sounds like she says "What happened to my cinnamon buns..."
instead of "what happened to Miss Independence..."

Xigubo News said...

Great read thankyoou