Friday, January 25, 2008

Phags for Phelps: Not so ridiculous after all

What is the best way to get more people to join the fight for tolerance?

According to "Out" magazine author Josh Kilmer-Purcell, that would be by giving free publicity to The Phelps clan. He has created the "Phags for Phelps" movement as a means of getting more people to side with the GLBT community.

Or, as he explains it "Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church family just might be the most important GLBT activists since Stonewall. Why? Quite simply, because they give homophobes a bad name. Unlike stealth homophobes, the Phelps clan don't hide their repugnance under a bushel. Every time they appear on the nation's television screens, they show millions of Americans just how ugly unadulterated bigotry is."

I have to admit, he has a great point. Unlike some of our other anti-gay opponents, who make obtuse declarations and rationalizations and justifications for their intolerance, the Phelpses are loud and proud bigots.

By showing America just how ugly hate looks at its very worst, the Phelps AND Kilmer-Purcell are most likely encouraging the apathetic "fence-sitters" to support gays and lesbians.

Even Nate Phelps, the estranged son of Freddie Phelps admits it, "I have always contended that what my father is doing has been more helpful than hurtful to the GLBT cause. I have also been outspoken about the hypocrisy displayed by people only showing outrage for funeral protests when it's directed toward a group other than gays... I'd much prefer to have the in your face, truthful hatred of my family toward gays than the equivocating, hair-splitting justifications of so many in the mainstream who mask their prejudice with cute little sayings like "love the sinner, hate the sin" while they behave with hatred and prejudice by even defining it as sin." [emphasis added]

Kilmer-Purcell also says, "Shirley [Phelps] believes that God Hates Me, and that's Fine By Me. She isn't gonna hurt me, trick me into thinking she's 'tolerant,' or...and this is important...make me believe in the same thing she does. She's just telling me what she believes to be the truth, and making jokes about cooking chickens who've become pets.

I believe that Americans hate hate. And the more Shirley and her gospel of homophobic hate are exposed, the more friends GLBT Americans make. I want Shirley's message out there, and so does she. For different reasons. But it just might be the strangest win-win situation I've ever been a part of."

Right on, Josh. I am with you 100%.

3 comments:

Fannie Wolfe said...

"Unlike stealth homophobes, the Phelps clan don't hide their repugnance under a bushel."


Stealth homophobes. I like that phrase. It's so villainous.

Jane Know said...

Well, if the shoe that is one half of a perfect pair that can be combined in holy matrimony fits...

Anonymous said...

If you wish to maintain your anonymity online I recommend you take a look at the "Handbook for bloggers and cyber-dissidents" located at rsf.org (Reporters Without Borders). Google it. It is way too easy to track down bloggers. Some bigots are Internet savvy.